Your braces are off, your smile looks great. Now, you need to work at keeping it that way. The retention phase of treatment is all about holding your teeth in their corrected positions. This relies on retainers.
Types of Retainers
There are three different retainer styles you might wear. These are as follows:
- Traditional removable retainers: A metal wire that surrounds the front teeth and is attached to an acrylic arch that fits into the roof of the mouth.
- Aligner-style retainers: These look like Invisalign and are clear retainers that can fit over all the teeth or just from canine to canine.
- Fixed retainers: These are wires bonded to the backs of the teeth and in many cases, remains in place for life.
Pros and Cons of Retainer Types
- Removable retainers making eating easier
- It is easier to brush and floss with removable retainers
- Fixed retainers ensure you do not lose your retainer